Austin Housing Shortage + New House District + I-35
Hi Austin! Meagan Falcon, your regular source for Austin, Tx Daily, is out this week. But Patch always wants to make sure you’re up to date with all of your local happenings, so I’m here to keep you informed! Please note that during this period your newsletters may be lighter than usual. Now on everything you need to know, in 5 minutes or less.- Dashiell Allen
First of all, the weather forecast for the day:
Sun and areas of high cloud. High: 82 Low: 62.
Here are today’s best stories in Austin:
- United States Representative Lloyd Doggett is considering a run in the new Congressional District 37 at Austin. The district, which is said to have been designed to favor Democrats, is one of two created based on recent census data. (KVUE.com)
- A recent report illustrates Austinhousing shortage. Homes are selling at a record pace as the city’s supply struggles to keep up with demand. (Austin Patch)
- State and local early voting started on Monday. On the ballot are two city-wide proposals, one aimed to increase the Austin police budget and the other to the park land exchange. There is also eight statewide props, including a ban on adopting restrictions on religious services. (newsradioklbj.com)
- Members of Greater Austin Chamber of Commerce are considering their options for dealing with the city’s increasing traffic and congestion. They are considering the “cap and stitch”. redesign plan I-35, which would widen the highway viaduct and create a new green space in the process. (KVUE.com)
- One person died and another was injured in a northeast Travis County accidental overturn on Sunday evening. (KXAN.com)
today Austin Daily is brought to you by GoodRx, a Patch brand partner. Recognizing the first signs of a cold is important to prevent yourself and others from getting sick. Here’s what you need to know about the causes of the common cold, its symptoms, and how you can fight this seasonal illness.
- “7 barbecue restaurants in Austin and trailers feature in Texas Monthly’s Top 50 list for 2021 “(austin360)
- Austin Police Department: “We extend our deepest condolences to the family and law enforcement family of Deputy Constable Kareem Atkins. Our hearts are heavy with your tragic loss.” (Facebook)
- KUT Austin: “Friday’s vote is the fifth time this year that the Senate has passed legislation targeting the participation of transgender youth in school sports.” (Facebook)
- Austin Parks and Recreation Department – Families: “Bring your lawn chairs, blankets and snacks and enjoy an outdoor social distance movie at Metz Park, 2407 Canterbury St. 10/22 The Adams Family 10/29” (Facebook)
- Downtown Austin: âAustin Design Week is always looking for in-person and virtual volunteers. If you want to help with one of Austin’s most creative weeks, sign up here! ” (Facebook)
- Austin ISD: “October is National Bullying Prevention Month. Together, we can create kinder, more inclusive and more welcoming communities for all students.” (Facebook)
From our sponsors – thank you for supporting the local news!
You are all caught up for today. See you tomorrow for another update! If you like these newsletters, consider inviting some of your friends and neighbors to read them. You can send them this link to subscribe.
– Dashiell Allen
Got a tip or suggestion for an upcoming Austin Daily? Email me at [email protected]